Monday, February 14, 2011

Busted.

I find it interesting that online dating sites match people up on the basis of similar interests and personalities.

I've often wondered what it would be like to be married to someone whose ideal day would be to read in bed till sunset, and then perhaps enjoy a good salad.

Unfortunately, I'll never know.

My husband can't wait to get out of bed and out the door. I could be housebound for a week and barely notice. He has intense focus and drive. I start 100 small projects and have trouble following through with any of them. He's a connector, kind of a collector of friends. I often bemoan the fact that I don't have enough time for the friends I already have. He's always thinking about new ideas. New ideas make me tired.

Living with someone who is my opposite in so many ways has provided me many "growth opportunities," as it were. It's as if God knew there shouldn't be so much sameness... hence, the male/female, variety of personality types, ways of thinking, parenting styles, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

"It's as if God knew..." Did you catch that?

It's just like God to use every opportunity to sharpen and shape us. Marriage is difficult for a reason -- because there's a whole lot of self in ourselves. Continually communicating without criticizing, hearing one another out, compromising and yielding make us better people. When we can accept our spouse's opposing point of view as EQUALLY AS VALID AS OUR OWN, we win. Another rough spot has been sanded down.

I'm in the same line of work as my husband, but we approach things very differently. We have the same ideals, but he is so different from me that I frequently am surprised at how he wants to handle various issues. And I've found that I'm so vocal about it! Because we've had so many years together, because I trust him so much and know him so well, it's as if I've gotten into the habit of thinking aloud without considering that not every thought needs to be expressed.

Words have weight. I think I've been throwing my weight around too much lately.

Last night I found a photo of the two of us taken about 27 years ago. I remember that girl. Yes, she had a lot to learn, but she also didn't have to be right all the time. I'm pretty sure she was easier to live with.

So, this Valentines Day, I'm resolving to live by Romans 12:3: "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment."

I have a great man whom I love with my whole heart.

I can be a better wife.

And I will.










5 comments:

  1. Ahhhh :) I needed this!! Thanks Laurie!
    -Heather Fry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sooooo wonderful! I love the way you see things. And express things. Thanks for sharing Laurie :) I love you the way you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, did I need to hear this - love you friend - thanks for sharing your sanity, as I currently reside in crazy town. lr (writing from bkr's computer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this. I love reading what you and Paige have to say about all sorts of, well...life ponderings :] You're so real and down to earth, and when you share how God's speaking to you, he then speaks through you to all of us who read it. I glean a new little nugget of wisdom each time. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, E, Liz and Courtney.
    This one's a little humbling, but I needed to write it.
    Now comes the hard part- putting it into practice! :)
    Day 1, so far, so good!

    ReplyDelete